Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WORLD WAR ONE MOVIES -- FLASH GORDON --- THINGS TO DO WITH SHOTGUN SHELLS

RED SOX FAN OF THE WEEK
Spike
Spike is a black lab from Manti. He enjoys retrieving ducks, geese, pheasants, and frisbees. He is seen here, sitting in his office, watching a Red Sox game on NESN. He would like to see more of Heidi Watley and less of Don Orsillo. He still feels that Buckner was framed and has totally had enough of Manny.


Spike also enjoys reading the Wall Street Journal, listening to the Boston Pops, watching the History Channel, and peeing on flowers.


Listed below are some of Voo's favorite movies involving WWI.

"All Quiet on the Western Front" was filmed in 1930 and still holds the test of time. It is a great movie as well as a great book.


"Sergeant York," starring Gary Cooper, is the true story of America's number one hero of WWI and
Congressional Medal Of Honor winner, Alvin C. York. The movie was made in 1939.


"The Blue Max" was filmed in about 1966. Fantastic photography without any computer enhanced bullshit.


"Hell's Angels" was made in 1929 and produced by Howard Hughes---film debut of Jean Harlow. All in all, lousy acting but fantastic stunts and photography.








BONUS FEATURE
I always try to give my readers something they can't get with other blogs. I feel I have out done myself today. Above is an autographed photo of Buster Crabbe. I'm sure you all remember him as Flash Gordon in the movie serials that played in the old Manti Theatre.


Flash Gordon



It's time to talk a little bit about shotgun shells.
1930 Shotgun Shell Box


1920s or 1930 Shotgun Shell Box



Up until about 1960 shotgun shells were made of brass and paper.


After 1960 all shotgun shells were made of brass and plastic because plastic is much more friendly to the environment. However, I think it is a good idea to pick up the empty shells and put them to good use. Below are examples of how empty shotgun shells can be tastefully used to their fullest advantage.

They can be used as artful lights to enhance your living room.




They also make excellent Christmas decorations.


This is a photo of a wreath on my front door that is there year around.




More Christmas ideas.



Shotgun shell thermos!



Shotgun shell bench



Shotgun shell belt buckle.



Shotgun shell knife




Shotgun shell key chain


Shotgun shell mailbox --- Clint Boswell, aka the Dude, has one of these.




Shotgun shell framed mirror

Whatever shells you decide to use --- make sure they are Federal and that you purchase them from "The Wolf."



RED SOX LEGEND OF THE WEEK
Johnny Pesky
Johnny has been a player, coach, manager, and announcer for the Red Sox for over 100 years.



FISH OF THE WEEK
Brook Trout
Note: I have caught many Brook Trout in my life, but never in a brook.




KNOT OF THE DAY
Double Half Hitch

This knot is twice as good as the single half hitch.



DUCK OF THE DAY
PINTAIL

If the Mallard is the "king" of ducks, this is certainly the "prince."



COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER OF THE WEEK
Lieutenant Uhura



FLY OF THE WEEK
The Black Ant

Easy to tie and very effective!



The phone has been ringing off the hook with readers demanding more photos of my sisters.

Wedding photo of my sister, Joanne.



Wedding photo of my sister, Joyce at one of her weddings --- I forget which one.





REMEMBER READERS --- WHERE EVER YOU GO --- SPIKE IS WATCHING!

QUOTE OF THE DAY

It isn't pollution that is harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
George W. Bush


Next blog we will be featuring some good books.
Rock on----

Voo

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't begin to express just how inspiring it is to wake up to your blog Voo instead of the daily news. You provide real news, hard and up to the minute important articles. Thank you for the service you are doing for your country.
Georgia

joyce Eliason said...

That is not Joanne! That much I know for certain! As for my photo-- that is really Ava Gardner but it's okay because people always have gotten us mixed up. I was married to Frank too-- but it only lasted a day.

j. lo

Circus Boy said...

Thanks for another magical mystery tour! You climbs on, you takes your seat, and GOD ONLY KNOWS where this crazy frickin' machine is going to take you today! The anatomy of the shotgun shell and Buster Crabbe's John Hancock. Those are the images I'll cherish from today. Those and Spiko's handsome mug, of course.

joanne said...

One question..can you get the shells without shooting? I was impressed with all those useful tips, but hate the gun part. Don't tell Curt or Larry.
Please advise.
One thing i have come to realize..you are one smart Voo, especially about the past. Just keep it up, because the time will come when, like me, you won't remember your favorite movie, book, car or boyfriend (of which I had many) and I sure as hell can't remember that wedding photo of me, but am so happy that you kept it and chose to share!
The Good Sister

oil can said...

Oh my...
I know this is not a competition... but I give.. you won Ray... but it is obvious... much like the Yankees are said to be the best team baseball can buy... you had unlimited resources to create this Voodoo Vern blog... I highly doubt it was done by yourself... However .. it ROCKS!

Oil

Post a Comment